Richmond School of Arts
Richmond Literary Institute Inc
Richmond Literary Institute was established in 1861 it’s founding President was George Bowman. The foundation stone was laid in January 18 66 and the Building was opened by Sir Henry Parkes on the 27th August, 1866.
Richmond Borough Council came into being in 1872 and the council meetings were held at the School of Arts until 1913.
In 1878 additions were made so to provide a Library and reading room. The main auditorium was used for Lectures, Debating and dancing etc. At one stage dancing was banned, however this was overturned by a well attended meeting.
1896 saw more additions to the building with the stage extending the main Auditorium, a dressing room, a back verandah and the upstairs Lodge room, now called the Archerfield room.
In 1900 the Billiard room was built (which is now the Lapidary Room) and extended in 1914. The back verandah seemed to grow over the years and became the supper room. In 1998 this part was demolished and rebuilt as you see it today, with Air conditioning & Large Kitchen with good facilities. It was named the Murray Wing in honour of a past member.
Over the years there have been many groups use the halls and rooms for meetings, classes, Dances, Celebrations, Weddings etc. Richmond Players have staged their performances continuously since 1952. There have been many exciting occasions held over the years, large Art Exhibitions, Concerts, & Opera.
The Institute is managed by the members as Trustees and Managers, all being volunteers. As it has always been.
The building is used each week at present by tenants teaching; Ballet, Tap Dancing, Belly Dancing, Pilates, Drama, A church group and the Lapidary Club.
The Macquarie Towns Arts Society stage two Exhibitions each year in Autumn and Spring.
The Halls are available for hire for Weddings, Parties, Concerts, Exhibitions, Meetings, large or small there are 3 halls (2 Air Conditioned) to choose from and a smaller meeting room.
The Murray Wing now has an Audio/Visual system available for hire, with HDMI & AVG connections.
The office is open Wednesdays and Fridays 8.30am till Noon. Phone is available for information and bookings 02 4578 1120.
President Margaret Thorne, Hon. Secretary Graham Smith, Treasurer Katrina Roberts.